Jack Wolfskin this month was awarded an international ISPo award for innovation in recognition of design advancements in its new Traveltopia Duffle 65 travel bag.
Globally, the ISPO award is one of the outdoor industry’s most prestigious recognitions for technical and sustainable product design. The award was determined by an independent jury of industry leaders, consumer experts and sports enthusiasts from the ISPO collaborators’ club.
The Traveltopia Duffle 65 is part of Jack Wolfskin’s all-new Traveltopia collection of travel packs, bags and accessories that will be released in fall 2022. The ISPO jury commended the bag for its look, its sustainable design and toughness.
“The Traveltopia Duffle is an aesthetically pleasing and durable travel bag,” said Robert Semmann, Jury Member ISPO Award 2022 Collaborators’ Club. “The dense fabric made from 100-percent recycled polyester is finished with a synthetic coating, resembling a wax coating but eliminating any of its disadvantages. The separate packing bag included may be used as a laundry or shoe bag, which is also quite practical.”
ALL NEW MATERIALS AND TREATMENTS:
Traveltopia products are made from a dense, bluesign-certified fabric consisting of 100 percent recycled polyester. To achieve the waterproof finish, Jack Wolfskin employs an entirely new technology inspired by nature: a PFC-, PVC- and solvent-free synthetic wax coating mimicking beeswax. The odourless and non-sticky treatment, called “Wax Weave” is ten times more water-resistant than conventional alternatives and, unlike natural wax, it never wears out.
“By using a synthetic wax coating, the dirt- and water-repellent finish of the duffles, as compared to conventionally waxed models, never requires reapplication,” said Magdalen Hamel, Jack Wolfskin Category Manager Equipment. “The treatment ensures that water-resistance will never be compromised.”
DISTINCTIVE APPEARANCE AND TEXTURE:
The synthetic wax coating of the bag‘s main material creates a distinctive texture that naturally patinas over time to enhances the bag‘s aesthetics. Built to last but not overbuilt, the duffle has a minimalistic design with clean cut lines. The construction reduces weight and minimizes waste during production.
TECHNICAL DETAILS WITH PRACTICAL APPROACH:
Zippers are commonly strained in all travel bags. Jack Wolfskin addresses this by reinforcing its Traveltopia bags with robust, reverse-coil waterproof YKK zippers. Each bag comes with an easy-to-replace metal zipper pull that is simple to install in the instance that the original slide breaks, to enhance longevity and deliver peace of mind while travelling.
THE ALL-NEW ISPO AWARD:
New in 2022, ISPO awards are granted four times per year by an independent jury that recognises outstanding products in the industry. The majority of ISPO award recipients are brands that have consistently developed their existing products towards greater sustainability, lightness as well as functionality. The international jury is composed of renowned experts from different sectors (retailers, designers and athletes, media and product specialists, as well as selected consumers from the ISPO community), evaluating a large number of submissions according to precisely defined criteria.
“This award makes us enormously proud,” said Daniele Grasso, Jack Wolfskin’s Vice President Product & apparel. “Our gratitude and congratulations go to our equipment team. We are quite delighted that the jury was so enthusiastic towards our sustainable and innovative product development. This award validates our dedication and pioneering spirit and encourages us to continue developing new technologies and products that will inspire the industry in the long term.”
Traveltopia Duffle 65
- This visually striking, multifunctional duffle doubles as a backpack with detachable shoulder straps.
- The aesthetically and functionally unique, synthetic wax coated Wax Weave material is made from recycled polyester, very hard-wearing and abrasion-resistant, yet still provides a pleasant velvety feel. The duffel’s bottom side features additional reinforcements.
- The solvent-free PU coating provides excellent and long-lasting water protection.
- Naturally eco-friendly: the fabric requires no aftercare, is vegan, a bluesign® product and is designated with the Grüner knopf (Green Button) German government-run certification label for sustainable textiles.
- The Wax Weave treatment is odourless and dirt resistant.
- The Duffle is delivered and may be stowed in a high-quality extra bag, which may be used separately as a shoe or laundry bag back home.
- Five well laid out interior pockets plus a zippered exterior pocket help organize contents.
- The YKK zippers are treated with a water-repellent DWR coating, are particularly abrasion-resistant and durable. on top, the zipper pullers may be self-repaired with a spare puller.
- material: Wax Weave 600D RE: 100 % recycled polyester / Bottom side: Ballistic 450D RE: 100 % recycled polyester
- bluesign® Product; Green Button, German government-run certification label for sustainable textiles
- weight: 940 g; capacity: 65 l; rrp: £ 125.00